A different kind of joy

Dear Wilfred,

Happy Birthday! :) I wish that I were with you so that you could serve semi carcinogenic barbacued veggies, that I would toss over my shoulder into the bushes to avoid hurting your feelings. The meat of course would be made to perfection. 

I can see you now standing there in your denim apron, yellow t-shirt and squinting through your thick glasses. You look a little bit like a minion from Despicable Me. Not sure if you will get this reference- Google it ;-) 

I have this vivid memory of the tiny coca cola cans that you used to buy for me when I would visit as a child. They looked miniature in your large hands, but then I realised many years later that they were in fact - just miniature. You stopped buying them and one day changed to Schweppes' bitter lemon. It is my favorite now. It is not easy to find in the Netherlands so I treasure them when I do. I am drinking one now, in honor of you. 

 I see you in a place like this, enjoying a glass of Whiskey and proper English cheese. We are going to a concert tonight. My favorite artist. Every feeling of happiness and joy will be dedicated to you. I hope you feel it.

Sending you love.

Always,

A



Comments